Donegal Community Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donegal Community Forum

This forum is for anyone who is from, or whose family or ancestors hail(ed) from Co. Donegal. The main points of this group are to meet and keep in touch with family and friends and collect and exchange family history information of families and towns.

2 posters

Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara

mcghee777
    mcghee777

Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara Empty Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara

Post  mcghee777 Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:50 pm

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/MolloysMeenavally.htm

The above is my family webpage on Lindels site Donegal resources.
    I am researching Molloy, Gallagher families of Ardara.

Kind regards Jane flower
    patriciaberry38

Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara Empty MOLLOY-GALLAGHER FAMILY OF ARDARA

Post  patriciaberry38 Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:01 pm

Hello Jane
    I am looking for anyone who is researching MARGARET MARY SLYE who was born in 1903 in Ardara, Donegal, Ireland. Margaret was the daughter of MICHAEL SLYE and ANNA MALLOY/MOLLOY.
    Widowed ANNA (Malloy) Slye emigrated to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA in 1912 with two of her children MARGARET MARY SLYE and JAMES SLYE.
    They went to Anna's brother JOHN MALLOY who was living at 3611 North 16th Street, Philadelphia.
    I have information that MARGARET MARY SLYE married CHARLES MOONEY around 1925 in Philadelphia but I have been unable to find a Marriage for them in Philadelphia. I have only been able to find a MARGARET GALLAGHER.
    I have located CHARLES & MARGARET MOONEY on the 1930 & 1940 USA Census's
    ANNA MALLOY was living at House No. 4 Mogumna, Mulmossog, Donegal in 1901. Her parents were James & Hannah Malloy.
    Are these the MALLOY/MOLLOY's that you are researching?
    Regards
    Pat Berry
    mcghee777
    mcghee777

Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara Empty Molloy, Gallagher of Ardara

Post  mcghee777 Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi Patricia,

They descend from the same family and I even know which house they lived in, in Ardara and it now the Town Florist Shop, it used to be known as Slyes Corner, please contact me on my own Email Address, which is mcghee777@btinternet and I will give you what I have.

Kind Regards Jane flower
    patriciaberry38

Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara Empty MOLLOY-GALLAGHER FAMILY OF ARDARA

Post  patriciaberry38 Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Hello Jane

I have sent an email to your email address yesterday but I added ".com" to btinternet.
    I hope that was correct.

Regards

Pat Berry
    mcghee777
    mcghee777

Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara Empty Molloy, Gallagher, Slye

Post  mcghee777 Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi Patricia.

Here is the link to the 1901 Census for Ardara Town, Thomas husband of Ann is listed as widower, he has his sons living with him, having taken his daughters to Philadelphia, Where Margaret V is living with her Uncle John Malloy brother of Ann, I also have a page on facebooks called Descendants of familys who hail from Ardara, The Slye household was on such a prominant corner that folks from the area will remember them, I am going to look out my notes but I am sorry to say I don't really have much on America but have information on Malloys from Ardara, Ann had a brother James who set up the Donegal Tweed buisness and he also married 4 times !!
    Will send you more info tomorrow

Best Wishes Jane flower
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/1901ArdaraTownCont.htm
    mcghee777
    mcghee777

Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara Empty Re: Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara

Post  mcghee777 Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Sorry Ann I have misread your post will have to look into things again

Kind regards Jane flower
    mcghee777
    mcghee777

Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara Empty Slye, Malloy, Gallagher

Post  mcghee777 Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:57 pm

I have found Charles and Margaret Mooney living in Philadlephia on the 1940 census, Also there is someone else called Kris researching the same 2 people and he visited Ireland in 2000 and the home of Anns parents James Malloy and Hannah McCriothan, The Fred Slye you mention was staying with Annie Malloy Slyes brother James Malloy according to the 1911 census of ireland, James was a cousin to my Greatgrandfather Bernard Malloy who also emigrated to Philadelphia in 1912, James Malloy and his sister Catherine were Godparents to my Grandfathers brother Patrick John Malloy. You are definetly on the right track. According to Kris, Margarets Mother Annie died young after taking her family to America, they were put in an orphanage and it was their Uncle John Malloy that took them to live with him, her brother James Malloy died aged 20 years.

Kind Regards Jane flower
    patriciaberry38

Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara Empty SLY-MALLOY-GALLAGHER

Post  patriciaberry38 Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:47 am

Hello Jane
    Thanks for your message. I have been doing a little more research and found that the Margaret who married Charles Mooney in Philadelphia may not have been the Margaret Gallagher that I thought but Margaret Mary Slye who was born in Dec Qtr of 1903 in Glenties, Donegal to Annie Malloy and Michael Slye.
    I have been searching for a Marriage in Philadelphia for Charles Mooney & Margaret Mary Slye to confirm this but I cannot find one.
    I had seen a message by "KRIS" on Genealogy.com GenForum regarding the Mooney-McGregor-Woodside-Slye's but it was posted in 2000 and her email address is no longer valid.
    I found Annie Malloy/Molloy was the daughter of James & Hannah Malloy/Molloy born in 1864 and were living at 4 Magumna, Mulmossog, Donegal in 1901 and found that Hannah was Hannah McCreighan (as per Donegaleire Rootsweb Mailing List). James has his daughter's age as 27 in 1901?. She is 45 in 1911 and 40 on the ship to Philadelphia in 1912.
    I have been searching for a Marriage between James Malloy/Molloy and Hannah McCreighan around 1860 but have been unable to find that also.
    I also can't find a Marriage between Annie Malloy/Molloy and Michael Slye which must have been around 1902. I found a likely Michael Slye living with a Farrell family in County Wicklow. He was aged 28 and was a Gunner in the Wicklow Artillery Militia.
    I have the ships manifests and all the census's relating to the Malloy-Slye family.
    Another query is that in 1911 Annie Slye is a Widow with two children Margaret Mary aged 7 and Michael Joseph aged 4 living in Strand Street, Donegal.
    In September 1912 Annie is on a ship with her brother John Malloy going to Philadelphia. John is returning to his home at 3611 N 16th Street Philadelphia and Annie and two children MARY aged 8 years and JAMES aged 5 years were on the ship with her going to her brother John's address. Their Next of Kin is brother James in Ardara.
    I found Margaret aged 16 living with Uncle John Malloy in Philadelphia in 1920 (Margaret V should be Margaret M)
    I found James Slye aged 13 living as an inmate at St Joseph's Home for Homeless & Industrious Boys in Philadelphia in 1920. You say he died when he was aged 20 which was around 1927.
    Do you know where James was in 1911?
    Where was Michael Joseph in 1912?
    I found Michael Joseph Slye on a Passenger List on 21 July 1929 (SS Caledonia) going to his Uncle Michael Molloy of 620 Moss Street, Philadelphia and his Next of Kin in Mogumna, Ardara was his Aunt Mrs Cassie Molloy. I found him on the 1930 & 1940 Census's and it appears he was Seaman. Naturalised in 1943 and died in 1983.
    I am interested in finding the 3 Marriages I have mentioned.
    Thanks again
    Pat
    patriciaberry38

Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara Empty SLYE-MOLLOY-GALLAGHER

Post  patriciaberry38 Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:16 am

Hello Jane
    I have just found that Annie Malloy did not marry Michael Slye but she married THOMAS SLYE.

I just came across two of her children on RootsIreland so I purchased their Birth Records.

MARGARET MARY SLYE born 30 October 1903 in Ardara, County Donegal. Father Thomas Slye and Mother Annie Molloy

MICHAEL JOSEPH SLYE born 1 June 1907 in Ardara, County Donegal. Father Thomas Slye and Mother Annie Mulloy (this is how it is spelled on Record).

I didn't have enough credits to get JAMES FRANCIS SLYE who was born in 1906.

I will now see if I can find a Marriage for Thomas Slye and Annie Molloy/Malloy/Mulloy.

Regards

Pat

mcghee777
    mcghee777

Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara Empty Molloy, Slye

Post  mcghee777 Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:35 pm

According to my notes Joseph Slye did not go to America with his mother Annie Molloy but went to live with his grandparents James and Hannah Molloy, he emigrated to Philadelphia when he was older

Jane flower
    patriciaberry38

Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara Empty MOLLOY-SLYE FAMILY of ARDARA

Post  patriciaberry38 Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55 am

Hello Jane

Thank you for that information. Do you know where JAMES SLYE was in 1911? He does not appear to be on the 1911 Census?
    Just this last week I have found that the MARGARET GALLAGHER who I have for CHARLES MOONEY's wife is incorrect as I have found a person on Ancestry with a tree with a CHARLES JOSEPH MOONEY born in Philadelphia with that MARGARET GALLAGHER as his wife from 1928. So it is looking more likely that our CHARLES MOONEY married MARGARET MARY SLYE around 1925 in Philadelphia as their first born child JOHN C MOONEY was born on 14 March 1926. The only problem is that I cannot confirm this as I cannot find a Marriage in Philadelphia for Charles Mooney & Margaret Mary Slye.
    Are you in contact with Kris whose Video Link of her trip with Spike to Ireland you had on Facebook's "Ardara Donegal Molloy Descendants" as she appears to be related to Margaret Slye and her father Thomas Slye. She doesn't mention the Mooney side in her Video.
    Thank you for all your help.
    Regards
    Pat

mcghee777 wrote:According to my notes Joseph Slye did not go to America with his mother Annie Molloy but went to live with his grandparents James and Hannah Molloy, he emigrated to Philadelphia when he was older

Jane flower

Sponsored content

Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara Empty Re: Molloy, Gallagher Families of Ardara

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm